Do you think that applying the same SEO strategies will give you different results every time? The answer is no. It is because SEO practices are something that changes in tandem with the change in the algorithms of the search engines. We know that search engines are on the constant lookout to provide better search results to the query of the user, which is only possible by new algorithm updates. These new updates by search engines need to be met with an SEO strategy that is in line with the same. No matter how dynamic the world of SEO is, you can achieve success by keeping your strategy up to date with the new developments.
In this article, we will talk about the future SEO strategy that is and will remain relevant in these changing times.
11 of the Key SEO Trends to Target in 2023
Riding on the waves of SEO trends is detrimental to the success of any SEO strategy. Failing to include these trends in your SEO strategy may lead to a not so successful digital marketing campaign. Below are some of the key trends that will decide the success of any SEO going forward in the future.
1. Long-tail Keywords:
Will you be surprised if I say that the Long tail keyword is the future? If yes you may ask a question here, Why? It is due to the Natural language Programming system used by search engines such as Google to better serve search results. With the rapid advancement in this system, you can expect the need to use long tail keywords in the content to better match the search intent of the users.
Long tail keywords are the queries used by users to find information over the internet. So it becomes very important for you to inculcate this very search habit of the users to make your website rank higher for related search queries.
For Example, How to crack the MCAT exam within a week? Well, it’s a different topic whether you can crack it or not in a week, but it is what Long tail keywords look like.
2. Use keywords in Alt Text for images:
Alt text is an attribute that tells search engines such as Google what the image is about. In the case of a broken image on a website, the alt text attribute helps Google find what the image is about. It also makes the image accessible to visitors that are visually impaired with the help of a screen reader that reads the alt text effectively.
So, it becomes essential to include an alt text to your image which should fall in line with the below tips:
- Add alt text to all informational images.
- Keep it short and descriptive.
- Don’t include unnecessary text such as “image of.”
- Leave alt text blank if the image is not informational
- Don’t add alt text in the title field.
3. Use keywords in headers:
Target Keywords in the headers, such as H1, H2, H3 and so on, to help Google find the context of your web pages. If Google understands the context of your web pages, it will be better equipped to present the same to the related search query by the users. Also, it signals the users that the content of your web pages satisfies the search intent of the users. Make sure to:
- Add the relevant keywords in the Header tags of your web page.
- Keep the header tags as descriptive as possible.
- Refrain from using lengthy header tags.
- Use Long tail keywords in the header tags.
Google has rolled out a new feature which is known as Page Indexing. It is a feature that helps Google pull out a specific section of the page irrespective of the whole. Headers with target keywords help Google understand the context of your page and help to rank that specific section relevant to the users’ query.
User Experience is the most important and evergreen aspect of SEO strategy. UX means how the website makes your users feel. It can be good or bad. But here, a good user experience is crucial for SEO success. How? If your website is able to provide a good user experience to the visitors, it will considerably increase the dwell time of the visitors. An increased dwell time signals to Google that the web page is of value to the user, which helps Google rank the content better on the SERP.
Factors that make up for a better user experience:
- User-friendly URLs
- Engaging and Valuable content
- Clear and Intuitive navigation
- Responsive Design
- Fast Loading Speed
- Social Media Integration
5. Multiple Media:
High-Quality content is one of the ways by which you can engage your customers on your websites. There are multiple methods by which you can increase the dwell time of your users, which can help your website rank better on search engines. It can be with the use of multiple media types such as images, videos, gifs and audio files.
So, it becomes crucial for websites to include multiple media in their content to engage visitors.
Gifs can be great additions to your How-to blogs which can help the visitors easily understand the steps that you want them to undertake. For Example, Let’s say you have created a blog titled How to add the alt attribute to images? Here, you can use Gifs to easily explain the step by step process, which will help the users to engage with your website.
6. Internal links:
Internal Linking is the process of binding your related web pages with each other. Linking your related web pages with each other helps Google to Discover new web pages on your website. This helps Google to crawl and index those web pages to serve when a user makes a related search request. In addition, it also helps to provide a better user experience to the visitors of your website.
For Example, Pillar pages can be linked to related web pages to provide value to the visitors. By doing so, you will help visitors to click and visit related topics which may be of interest to the users.
7. Search intent:
- Writing content is one thing, and writing with search intent is another. Search intent means the purpose of the search made by the users. Search intent can be divided into 4 categories which are as follows:
- Navigational Serah Intent: The user knows the website and simply wants to visit there. For Example- a Facebook login
- Informational Search Intent: The user is looking to know more about some topic. For Example, What is Content Marketing?
- Commercial Search Intent: The user is looking to research more about the product before the purchase. For Example, Review iPhone 14
- Transactional Search Intent: The user is looking to complete a specific action, usually a purchase. For Example, By Nike Air shoes online.
To write content that aligns with the search intent of the user, find out the keywords that users are using when they target products or services related to yours. This can be done by keyword research using Google’s LSI and related search sections.
You can also use Google Trends, which is a free tool to find out about the search intent of the users.
8. Diversify Backlinks:
Backlinks are the backbone of any SEO strategy. It brings authority and credibility to one’s website. You can understand backlinks as a recommendation from one website to another. It signals to Google that the website is trusted and is of value which in turn helps the website to feature high on the SERP.
Remember that acquiring backlinks blindly from any website will not help you rank higher on Google. Make sure that the backlinks that you acquire are of High quality and from diverse domains. The benefits that come with including backlinks profile building are:
- Boosts the organic ranking of your website on the SERP.
- Bring referral traffic to your website.
- Increases the authority and credibility of your website.
- Backlinks are helpful to increase DA and PA.
E-E-E-A-T stands for Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness. It is a framework developed by Google to assess the quality and credibility of content on websites.
- Experience: Google considers the experience of the author while evaluating the content on a website. This proves that the suggestions are tried and tested, which can be served to the users looking for the same.
- Expertise: Expertise refers to the knowledge and qualifications of the content creator. Google values content that demonstrates expertise in its subject matter.
- Authoritativeness: Authoritativeness relates to the reputation and influence of the website or author. Content from trusted and respected sources is given higher rankings.
- Trustworthiness: Trustworthiness evaluates the reliability and transparency of the information. Content that is accurate, well-sourced, and free from deceptive practices is prioritized.
Together, these factors help Google determine the quality of content and ensure users are provided with reliable and trustworthy information.
E-E-A-T was EAT earlier until a Google update in December 2022 which made Experience factor a part of the framework.
10. Voice Search Optimization:
With the increase in the use of Voice search to look out for information online, optimizing your website for the same is crucial. To optimize for voice search, focus on long-tail keywords and conversational language that users usually make with voice search. Create FAQ-style content that directly answers common user queries. Optimize website loading speed for quick voice responses. Utilize structured data markup to help search engines understand the context of your content. Ensure your website is mobile-friendly and optimized for voice searches on smartphones.
Finally, optimize your business listings on platforms like Google My Business to enhance local voice search results.
11. Featured Snippets:
Featured snippets are the short text that appears at the top of the SERP. It aims to provide users with a quick answer to their search queries without having to click on a website to get the information. It’s a coveted spot because it drives tons of organic traffic and boosts your website’s visibility. So, if you want to be the star of the SERP show, optimizing your website for featured snippets is the way to go!
SEO campaigns are a constant journey of adaptation and innovation. Keep an eye on those mobile-first indexing changes, embrace the power of voice search, and don’t underestimate the importance of user experience. And most importantly, never stop learning and experimenting. Because in this fast-paced digital landscape, the only constant is change. So buckle up, stay curious, and let your SEO strategies evolve with the times.