Just a few days ago, we posted a blog on How To Engage Convert Visitors Within First 20 Seconds (Part-1).
By using visual elements, we managed to learn of how to enhance the first impressions and offered visitors information on how to convert. We’re giving you the second part of the post as promised.
We will cover the aspect as well as how appealing ideas can be used to spike customer interest. There are occasions when one does not draw the requisite audience and conversions despite providing engaging visuals.
The reason behind the same is that most of the websites fail to convey the key information that the visitor is actually looking for.
Therefore, your attention should not be limited to making amazing websites, but rather you should strive to create something that succeeds in answering all the questions a visitor has in mind.
Here are the key parameters you need to focus and optimize to satisfy the visitors and make them stay and convert:
Optimize your titles to generate engagement
The headlines of the entry page either create a lasting impression, or leave the visitor forever. The insight of what you offer, and whether you’d stick to the claims, is what the visitor thinks.
Here are some of the criteria you can adopt when optimizing your headlines and checking them for better engagement:
- When you specify some of the primary attributes of your website in the headlines, you can expect to make better conversions. Make sure your headlines focus on your business’s preposition and values as this would help in making feature based conversion.
- An excellent example of headline would be one where you ask the user some exciting questions such as ‘Are you looking for a change?’ You can complement this while using a subheading that introduces a solution to their problems.
- Try using social proof based headline that makes use of a strong testimonial or some impressive figures such ‘Join X number of happy customers’.
- Keep the headlines brief yet expressive. In most cases, using 10 words would be sufficient for delivering the right message. Make use of large text that is quick to get noticed.
- Never miss to conduct A/B testing for varied headline versions. Analyze how well the visitors are engaging for each of the version. So, make sure that you create 3-5 different versions that incorporate all of the suggested practices.
Draw visitor’s attention to your value proposition
No matter how visually appealing your website is, if it fails to show the unique value proposition (UVP) it will be of no use.
When a visitor arrives at your website, he or she is interested to know what is best for your company and why it is a better choice than competing websites. In case you do not identify the same, there is a wide chance that the visitor will be able to navigate back to Google.
Let us see how you can ensure your UVP could be reflected on your entry pages:
- Make sure you highlight the key attributes through a dedicated section at the top. Use an engaging title that further mentions the key elements as short bullet points. While conducting A/B testing in this case, you can use targeting and focus upon the first time visitors.
- Utilize powerful tagline along with a logo to help illustrate the company value proposition. That’s because the logo is the first place visitor’s note when they visit your site.
- As an ecommerce website, the key elements of your brand in the header such as free shipping, easy returns and lowest prices need to be focused and depicted. You can go one step further while showing the icons
Reveal your popularity by showing signs of social proof
Nobody would like to waste time over a website that has minimal or say negligible social existence. You have to show visitors the sign of your popularity.
For this, you can display social proof over the homepage as well as the key pages.
- You can depict your business usage numbers as a proof for how successful and popular your business is. You can display the data such as number of clients, total downloads and number of reviews etc.
- Go a step ahead while showing third party ratings over the homepage. You can show links from well-known sources that could add to the credibility of your website.
- For those who are involved in selling services, depicting tiny snippets of reviews along with images and a link would help.
Text optimization is important to engage & convert
For the first 20 seconds, if the only thing that the visitors could see is long block of texts, then they are surely going to leave the site. The first impression is scanning the text, nobody would start reading instantly.
Using chunks of content with stuffed keywords, thinking that it would help in SEO would be a bad decision as well. Here are some tips that you could rely upon when testing and optimizing the text:
- You can shorten the text by omitting the extra words. Cut down the text and remove any of the content that has minimal relevance.
- You can make use of short bullet points for displaying the text rather than showing blocks of content. Using icons along with bullet points would further make the content look innovative.
- Always make it a point that you are highlighting the prominent keywords. You can make the keywords bold, highlight them using colors or related icons etc.
- Make alterations in the text displayed over entry pages and run A/B test for each of the scenario. Followed by this, you can reach a stage where you know what text format would help in increasing the conversions.
We hope that this post has helped you in understanding how crucial are the first 20 seconds and how could you optimize the experience for this time frame. For more details, you can rely upon the services offered by Kinex Media.